    SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.1 synaptics problems tapping and tap'n'drag
    On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:04:30PM +0000, Jon Westgate wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but if I run 2.6.1
    > I get mouse problems that I didn't get with 2.6.0
    > I'm running a compaq m300 (600MHz PIII) with a synaptics touch pad.
    >
    > In 2.6.0 there was an option to include or not include support for the
    > synaptics touchpad (I found that my touchpad worked just fine with that
    > option unchecked) in 2.6.1 that option is nolonger there.
    >
    > In 2.6.1 I find that the operation of the mouse is very erratic its
    > almost impossible to take your finger off the pad without the cursor
    > moving, Tapping doesn't work, The pad seems very accelerated (ie you
    > drag your finger a short distance and the cursor is at the other side of
    > the screen before you know it), Lastly if you dragged your finger to the
    > edge of the pad it used to continue on smoothly. This no longer works.
    >
    > My question is:
    > Is there a command line or append option I can put in lilo.conf to
    > prevent the synaptics driver from trying to reprogram my touchpad? I
    > quite like its default behavior. There is definatly something trying to
    > reprogram it as I have to turn off my laptop for it's behavior to return
    > to normal. Even if I reset it still needs a power cycle to fix it.
    > dmesg says my touchpad is this:
    > input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio4
    >
    > I'm not running any special drivers or settings in XF86Config
    > I just have /dev/input/mice setup with protocol set as ImPS/2

    The default simple backward-compatibility mousedev module doesn't
    support taps and drags. You need the XFree86 synaptics driver from
    http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html. It'll work
    together with the in-kernel driver and give you all the features the pad
    has.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR