    Subjectremovable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev
    Date
    udev names are created when kernel detects corr. device. Unfortunately for
    removable media kernel rescans for partitions only when I try to access
    device. Meaning - because kernel does not know partition table it did not
    send hotplug event so udev did not create device nodes. But without device
    nodes I have no way to access device in Unix :(

    specifically I have now my Jaz and I have no (reasonable) way to access
    partition 4 assuming device nodes are managed by udev.

    devfs solved this problem by

    - always exporting at least handle to the whole disk (sda as example)
    - using something simple like dd if=/dev/sda count=1 on lookup for
    non-existing partition (/dev/sda4) that would rescan partitions and create
    device nodes for them.

    static /dev simply has all nodes available and does not suffer from this
    problem at all.

    unfortunately there are no lookup events in case if udev ... meaning at this
    moment user must manually rescan partitions after inserting new media. I do
    not see any way to solve this problem at all given current implementation.
    The closest is to blindly create nodes for all partitions as soon as block
    device is available.

    -andrey

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:4.107 / U:0.112 seconds]