SubjectRe: BUG: 2.6.0 non fatal recoverable errors crash gcc
Date
On Thursday 01 January 2004 05:57 pm, Tommy Faasen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not subscribed to this newsgroup, but i'll try to read the follow-up
> messages if any.
>
> When my machine is doing big compiles like the kernel or mythtv ,
> gcc/g++ crashes.
> This happens after syslog tell me that there is a recoverable error
> (see output below).
> This happened several times but I don't know why and what I can do about
> it ..
> The machine seems to be very stable, but it could be a hardware problem
> i guess.
>
> I'm using a stock 2.6.0 kernel on a duron 1300 on a via kt133a chipset
> and has 640MB memory, extra information can be found below, if you need
> more information please let me know.

Sounds like you have buggy hardware. I routinely use GCC to try to break
machines because it is so CPU/Memory intensive. Because of the massive amount
of work gcc does, it will push out bugs/problems in your hardware. I would
recommend you look into it further. Overheating? Bad memory? Byggy chipset?
Cheap mobo?
Even if the system *seems* stable, I wouldn't trust it. You may have a VERY
subtle hardware problem if the system seems stable otherwise. A normal
program might only crash 1/1000 times with MCE where GCC will do it 1/10.
Check out your hardware then reply back if that doesn't fix it.
I tried to look up the error code, but man those proccessor spec manuals will
run circles around your head sometimes. The best I could come up with is that
your processor should never return MCE ;) MCE indicates some pretty heavy
trouble with data maniupulation.