SubjectRe: Power Management Update

> I have been testing swsusp to disk on my computer using kernel
> 2.6.0-test4 + Patrick Mochel's main PM patch (posted on lkml on aug 31) +
> IDE PM fix from benh (posted on lkml by P. Mochel on sep 2)
>
> I found that my computer is able to suspend to disk if I boot with
> init=/bin/sh, but not with a normal boot. I tried swsusp with a normal
> boot (Xfree, kde, ...) but after removing several modules form
> /lib/modules, to see which modules make problems. What I found:

Wow. Thanks a lot for taking the time to test this.

> * swsusp doesn't like accelerated graphics. If the following modules are
> loaded:
> i830 68120 20
> intel_agp 14744 1
> agpgart 25640 3 intel_agp
> resuming fails. (Different kind of failures, from spontaneous reboot to
> kernel panic.) I could try to pinpoint more precisely which module
> causes trouble.

This is not suprising, and likely something that many people will run
into. There is a lot of driver work that needs to be done, especially WRT
video devices, as many of them are not tied into the new driver model at
all.

For now, the best I can say is to manually unload those modules before
suspending and reloading them after resume. We'll work on getting the
drivers fixed up, but it will probably take a while.

> * Apart from that, the computer can suspend and come back to life !
> Modules loaded:
> snd_mixer_oss 16768 3
> binfmt_misc 8200 1
> autofs 12928 0
> ne2k_pci 8288 0
> 8390 8576 1 ne2k_pci
> snd_virmidi 3584 2
> snd_seq_virmidi 5632 1 snd_virmidi
> ipchains 48080 15
> ide_cd 36736 0
> cdrom 33312 1 ide_cd
> loop 13192 14
> hid 30272 0
> ehci_hcd 21120 0
> uhci_hcd 27656 0
> usbcore 91348 5 hid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
> However, the mouse is not working anymore (mouse is usb, the only usb
> device connected) nor network on eth1 (I haven't tried eth0.)

For both the mouse and eth1, will they work if you unload the modules
first, and reload them after resuming?

Thanks,

Pat

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:1.733 / U:0.116 seconds]