    SubjectRe: Hardware supported by the kernel
    Date
    Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> writes:

    >Matrox - Not exactly a speed demon any more in the 3d market. Open
    > drivers though. Not sure about Parhelia.

    LOL. Buying a G550 was the biggest mistake I ever did. DVI-D support
    only with a binary only module and still a heavy bug in it (basically
    it takes a 90 second break when starting X).

    IMHO The best supported 3D gfx chip for Linux comes from nVidia. Yes,
    it is binary only and people invented the "TAINTED" flag to report
    this, but it is a fast, vendor-supported driver which works fine in
    99% of all configurations which are one gfx board, one or two
    displays. (yes, I know it has some issues with power management on
    laptops). But all other vendors are worse and nvidia at least cares.

    If you just want 2D on an VGA, you can basically buy anything starting
    at $19.

    Regards
    Henning

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH
    hps@intermeta.de +49 9131 50 654 0 http://www.intermeta.de/

    freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

    "Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
    -- AOL CD when played backwards (User Friendly - 200-10-15)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.021 / U:1.024 seconds]