    SubjectRe: bandwidth for (good news)
    Henning Schmiedehausen <> writes:

    >> Yes, I snipped the DoS context, and your approach would work in a
    >> benign environment. 8-)
    > 225kpps * 64 Bytes (minimum packet len) = 13,7 MBytes / sec
    > 100 MBit / 8 bit = 12,5 MBytes / sec
    > So, IMHO even with a small packet saturated 100 MBit link you won't
    > reach 225kpps. AFAIK this was Ciscos intention to publish this number.
    > It basically says "you will have filled your link before you fill our
    > router".

    Cisco sells Gigabit Ethernet linecards for this router, and the
    situation is quite different in this case. And with most attacks,
    it's a futile exercise to try to combat them on a Fast Ethernet link,
    anyway. 8-(

    > But I'm pretty sure that a C37xx would handle full 100 MBit traffic to a
    > busy website without any problems. In fact, I know that it does. ;-) (We
    > did switch to a C12000 shortly after, mainly because we went Gigabit).

    Of course it does. After all, web traffic is somewhat different from
    pure DoS traffic. 8-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.020 / U:6.764 seconds]