    SubjectRe: serial console on x86
    On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 12:45, David Lang wrote:
    > I am attempting to install linux (debian 3 based) on some dual athlon
    > boxes with no video card. The BIOS does include serial console
    > capabilities
    >
    > once the system is installed I have no problem booting from the hard
    > drive, but when I attempt to boot from a CD to install (ISOLINUX custom
    > boot disk) I see the lilo prompt, the loading kernel message, the loading
    > initrd.gz message and then it prints 'Ready.' and reboots the same
    > bootdisk will work just fine if I install a video card in the machine (and
    > the same kernel with lilo boots just fine without a video card after it
    > gets installed)
    >
    > any ideas why the kernel may crash before printing any messages in this
    > situation? I've tried this with 2.4.17 and 2.4.22 with the exact same
    > results.
    >
    > David Lang
    > -

    David,

    Do you have a SERIAL directive in your syslinux.cfg (or ISOLINUX
    equivalent) file on the boot CD?

    Per the Syslinux readme.doc:

    SERIAL port [[baudrate] flowcontrol]

    I have been using:

    serial 0 38400 0x003

    on an embedded system, booting from either a CompactFlash or
    DiskOnChip.

    My flowcontrol parm is:

    0x001 - Assert DTR + 0x002 - Assert RTS for a NULL modem cable.

    The port number corresponds to ports detected by the BIOS.

    Bob...
    ---
    Bob Chiodini
    Senior Engineer
    ASRC Aerospace
    M/S ASRC-18
    Kennedy Space Center, FL 32899
    321-867-6313 (voice)
    321-867-6300 (fax)
    bob.chiodini@ksc.nasa.gov

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.023 / U:121.344 seconds]