    SubjectRe: serial console on x86
    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, David Lang wrote:

    > I am attempting to install linux (debian 3 based) on some dual athlon
    > boxes with no video card. The BIOS does include serial console
    > capabilities
    > once the system is installed I have no problem booting from the hard
    > drive, but when I attempt to boot from a CD to install (ISOLINUX custom
    > boot disk) I see the lilo prompt, the loading kernel message, the loading
    > initrd.gz message and then it prints 'Ready.' and reboots the same
    > bootdisk will work just fine if I install a video card in the machine (and
    > the same kernel with lilo boots just fine without a video card after it
    > gets installed)
    > any ideas why the kernel may crash before printing any messages in this
    > situation? I've tried this with 2.4.17 and 2.4.22 with the exact same
    > results.
    > David Lang

    ... in the lilo configuration works fine in the exact same kernels
    you cite. However, the CD install does not have the console changed
    so it will probably not work. The BIOS is never used past the point
    where the OS is physically loaded so it makes no difference
    if you have "serial console capabilities" in the BIOS.

    You can readily make an 'init' that opens a serial port if the
    console failed to open. That's done all the while in embedded
    systems. You just can't get that off a "distribution disk".

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.041 / U:7.104 seconds]