    Subjectserial console on x86
    I am attempting to install linux (debian 3 based) on some dual athlon
    boxes with no video card. The BIOS does include serial console

    once the system is installed I have no problem booting from the hard
    drive, but when I attempt to boot from a CD to install (ISOLINUX custom
    boot disk) I see the lilo prompt, the loading kernel message, the loading
    initrd.gz message and then it prints 'Ready.' and reboots the same
    bootdisk will work just fine if I install a video card in the machine (and
    the same kernel with lilo boots just fine without a video card after it
    gets installed)

    any ideas why the kernel may crash before printing any messages in this
    situation? I've tried this with 2.4.17 and 2.4.22 with the exact same

    David Lang

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.026 / U:55.932 seconds]