    SubjectRe: nasm over gas?
    Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Sean Neakums wrote:
    >>"Richard B. Johnson" <> writes:
    >>>If you decide to use gcc as a preprocessor, you can't use comments,
    >>>NotGood(tm) because the "#" and some stuff after it gets "interpreted"
    >>>by cpp.
    >>Although one could use C-style comments in this scenario, yes?
    > Sure. Then it's not assembly. It's some polymorphic conglomeration
    > of crap ......... don't get me started. If you write in assembler,
    > please learn to use the assembler. Assembly is not 'C'.

    Comments are not useful to the assembler, it doesn't look at it ;)
    So being removed by cpp or by the assembler itself does not matter for me.

    GAS support C style comment and there's an option to cpp to keep comment
    if you want comment in the assembler listing.

    The preprocessor is 'just a kind of filter', you can preprocess your
    files through m4, sed, perl, etc ... what's the problem with that ?

    > Use the right tool for the right thing. Both are tools, the fact
    > that you can shovel with an axe does not make the axe a shovel.

    Yann Droneaud <>
    <> <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.022 / U:0.960 seconds]