    SubjectRe: nasm over gas?
    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Yann Droneaud wrote:

    > fruhwirth clemens wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I recently posted a module for twofish which implements the algorithm in
    > > assembler (
    > >
    > > Unfortunately the assembler used is masm. I'd like to change that. Netwide
    > > Assembler (nasm) is the assembler of my choice since it focuses on
    > > portablity and has a more powerful macro facility (macros are heavily used
    > > by 2fish_86.asm). But as I'd like to make my work useful (aim for an
    > > inclusion in the kernel) I noticed that this would be the first module to
    > > depend on nasm. Everything else uses gas.
    > >
    > > So the question is: Is a patch which depends on nasm likely to be merged?
    > >
    > I hope no ...
    > Some years ago, we converted the only part of the kernel that used as86
    > to GNU as: see arch/i386/boot. I think this was an improvement.
    > Using nasm for only one small piece of code would be a regression, imho.
    > Regards.
    > PS: GCC pass .S assembler source files through cpp, so you get macros
    > expanding.

    GAS also has macro capability. It's just "strange". However, it
    does everything MASM (/ducks/) can do. It's just strange, backwards, etc.
    It takes some getting used to.

    If you decide to use gcc as a preprocessor, you can't use comments,
    NotGood(tm) because the "#" and some stuff after it gets "interpreted"
    by cpp.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.021 / U:54.868 seconds]