    SubjectRe: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(
    On Tue, Sep 30 2003, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
    > Jens Axboe wrote:

    > >>Then please tell me why PPPIOCNEWUNIT is only defined in linux/if_ppp.h
    > >>and not net/if_ppp.h which is still true for glibc-2.3.2. And please
    > >>don't tell me to ask the glibc folks. There are inconsistencies between
    > >>kernel headers and userland headers which force the inclusion of kernel
    > >>headers in userland applications.
    > >

    > >I will tell you to talk to the glibc folks, because that's where your
    > >problem is.
    > >
    > I don't think so. If ioctls are introduced in the kernel the kernel
    > people should propagate these to the glibc people. I don't think it is
    > the task of userland developers.

    It's not solely their responsibility, I agree. Just see my mail to
    davem. Did you tell the glibc folks about the missing ioctls?

    > But then this is my point of view and I don't think it necessary to
    > discuss this further.

    Agree. It's long been established that kernel headers aren't always
    suitable for user space inclusion, this discussion doesn't change that

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:1.532 seconds]