Subject2.4.22 with CONFIG_M686: networking broken
Hi,

It seems, like kernel version 2.4.22 introduced some weird bug,
that causes all kinds of network malfunctions, when the kernel is
compiled with "CONFIG_M686".

I am sorry, that I can't come up with a clearer error
description, but the whole issue is pretty mysterious: there is
no actual error occurring, but some networking functionality is so
slow that it's for all practical purposes useless. The best test
cases I could find are:

- getting a file via ftp (e.g. wget ftp://...): Data rate over a
normally fast network connection is ~ 200 bytes /second, the
connection soon dies with a timeout

- writing to a SMB share (provided, that samba is running on the
machine) is awfully slow and eventually aborted (Windows
complains about "network congestion")
reading via SMB works as usual ...

I upgraded the kernel on a bunch of machines - on most of them, I
had to immediately go back to the previous kernel because there
were obvious problems; some machines, however, worked perfectly
normal with the new kernel.

I tried lots of different options until I eventually found out,
that the single setting that makes all the difference is the
processor type: Independently of any other settings, all kernels
with "CONFIG_M686" exhibit these problems; when I change this to
"CONFIG_MPENTIUM4" and recompile, everything seems to work.

(By the way: the affected machines have "Pentium Pro" or "Pentium
II" processors - is it safe to run a kernel compiled for "Pentium
IV" on such boxes?)

Regards,
Peter Daum

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.085 / U:1.216 seconds]