    SubjectRe: [NFS] attempt to use V1 mount protocol on V3 server
    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:40:13 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:

    > a) Is a feature of the 'mount' program. An NFS server should in any
    > case not rely on the umount being sent: a client may have crashed
    > or been firewalled, or whatever...

    Okay. I'm not relying on it, anyway. I had just expected to get a V3
    umount call and not a V1 umount call. I could understand the V1 as a
    fallback. Seems I have to live with user-space tools calling me for
    protocol versions I didn't even register with the portmapper.

    > b) Is a kernel feature which will never trigger if you are passing a
    > correct filehandle from your mountd.

    That's assuming all NFSv3 servers do NFSv2 also. I don't. In this case
    the bug was in my nfsd who was not recognizing the filehandle coming in
    via GETATTR as correct. ;)

    So I'll have to live with registering for V1 also and handling umount
    there and rejecting mount with an error. Oh well.

    Thanks for the explanations!

    Oh, BTW, that reminds me: the 2.6.0-test NFS client does not like
    FSSTAT returning NFS3ERR_NOTSUPP. When I started coding, I got a hard
    lockup of my system due to that, had to press the reset button, not
    even Alt-SysRq wanted to work. I couldn't capture the output and
    shutting down the system didn't work, plus I could not start any new
    processes. Sure, that was a buggy server, but should that lock up
    the kernel? Known problem?

    I can probably reproduce that since changing my code to return NOTSUPP
    again would be easy, if you are interested.

    --
    Ciao,
    Pascal