    SubjectRe: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

    James,

    You missed a key point, the kernel people do not give a damn about binary
    modules and think they are evil. They do not care if a binary module
    works at all. If they can break it they will. You are wasting time and
    electrons, or just pee'ng in the wind.

    The only solution is to created a GPL pre-loading module with all the
    GPL_ONLY needed extentions re-exported or externed as to bypass the horse
    sh*t.

    What I am shocked to see is how people are being nice to you and not
    blasting you with a carpet bomb attack. I guess they are waiting to line
    up on me.

    Cheers,

    Andre

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, James Clark wrote:

    > Following my initial post yesterday please find attached my proposal for a
    > binary 'plugin' interface:
    >
    > This is not an attempt to have a Microkernel, or any move away from GNU/OSS
    > software. I believe that sometimes the ultimate goals of stability and
    > portability get lost in the debate on OSS and desire to allow anyone to
    > contribute. It is worth remembering that for every Kernel hacker there must
    > be 1000's of plain users. I believe this proposal would lead to better
    > software and more people using it.
    >
    > Proposal
    > -----------
    > 1. Implement binary kernel 'plugin' interface
    > 2. Over time remove most existing kernel 'drivers' to use new interface - This
    > is NOT a Microkernel.
    > 3. Design 'plugin' interface to be extensible as possible and then rarely
    > remove support from interface. Extending interface is fine but should be done
    > in a considered way to avoid interface bloat. Suggest interface supports
    > dependant 'plugins'
    > 4. Allow 'plugins' to be bypassed at boot - perhaps a minimal 'known good'
    > list
    > 5. Ultimately, even FS 'plugins' could be created although IPL would be
    > required to load these.
    > 6. Code for Kernel, Interface and 'plugins' would still be GPL. This would not
    > prevent the 'tainted' system idea.
    >
    > Expected Outcomes
    > ------------------------
    >
    > 1. Make Linux easier to use
    > 2. The ability to replace even very core Kernel components without a restart.
    > 3. Allow faulty 'plugins' to be fixed/replaced in isolation. No other system
    > impact.
    > 4. 'Plugins' could create their own interfaces as load time. This would remove
    > the need to pre-populate /dev.
    > 5. Remove need for joe soap user to often recompile Kernel.
    > 6. Remove link between specific module versions and Kernel versions.
    > 7. Reduce need for major Kernel releases. Allow effort to concentrate on
    > improving Kernel not maintaining ever increasing Kernel source that includes
    > support for the 'Kitchen Sink'
    > 8. Make core Kernel more stable. Less releases and less changes mean less
    > bugs. It would be easy to identify offending 'plugin' by simply starting up
    > the Kernel with it disabled.
    > 9. Remove need for modules to be maintained in sync with each Kernel thus
    > freeing 'module' developers to add improved features or work on new projects.
    >
    > James
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.026 / U:31.800 seconds]