SubjectRe: Complaint: Wacom driver in 2.6
Date
On Monday 29 Sep 2003 13:21, Simon Ask Ulsnes wrote:
> Hello there!
> I am the lucky owner of a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet, which works great with
> the latest 2.4-kernels. However, the 2.6-drive is unusually and utterly
> broken. Frankly, it doesn't work at all.

If it's any hope for you, I'm using the Wacom driver with an original
Graphire, and it's working OK for me. I'm currently on 2.6.0-test5, and I'm
pretty sure I'm using the vanilla wacom.c (it's version 1.30 according to
the comments.)

If you want any info about how I've got things configured, feel free to give
me a shout. In particular, I've got these relevant entries in my
XF86Config:

# Our ordinary PS/2 and Wacom mice; they're both multiplexed into
# /dev/mice by the kernel input event handling.
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "ButtonNumber" "5"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Name" "Autodetection"
Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
Option "Vendor" "Random"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Goodness knows if I need half those options set up; it's a
much-hacked-about-with old file that was originally set up by the SuSE SaX2
configuration tool, about three years ago! But I tend to live by "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it." I guess the important thing I did to get it
working under 2.6.0 was just to drop all the event interface crap and just
run it off /dev/input/mice, which is where the kernel happily feeds all the
wacom input through into.

Section "ServerLayout"
... other stuff deleted ...
InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
EndSection

That's all I needed to get the mouse and pen working. Of course, to go the
whole hog and get the pressure sensitive stuff and the pointer vs. eraser
functionality etc. you'd need to use the X11 wacom driver, but I've never
actually felt the need.

Cheers,

Matt

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."