SubjectRe: [OT] No Swap. Re: [BUG 2.6.90-test5] kernel shits itself with 48mb ram under moderate load
Mikulas Patocka wrote:

>>>Yes, it should. If you have 0.25GB, it can be copied into cache. If you
>>>have 0.125GB, it doesn't fit there.
>>
>> So you want to say to effectively copy (or whatever) 40GB harddrive I
>>have to have 40GB of RAM? Ridiculous.
>
> Other unices (Solaris, IRIX) don't have dynamic cache that resizes
> according to RAM, always copy data from disk to disk and so they are

It is slow. But when someone compile something on our Linux cross
compilation server - everyone else is out - "jerky" is not suffieciently
hard word to describe how it works under load. (I hope 2.6 fixes this.)

Sun Ultra 10 (Solaris 8) is magnitude slower, but when someone
compiles something big - people still _*can*_ work on it. "find | xargs
grep" is still ok. I notice usually background compilations by fact that
:w takes visibly longer. But I can work.

That's what matters. Try to work in vim if it is permanently get
swaped out. _*Very*_ _*very*_ not nice.
And there is no memory pressure - kernel just decided to enlarge I/O
cache... 100% stupid.

I personally prefer to have statical I/O cache - never saw it working
reliably with dynamic allocation.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.