SubjectRe: HT not working by default since 2.4.22
> Unfortunately CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY outside and independent of CONFIG_ACPI
> proved a bit confusing.

It was outside, but it wasn't independent -- and _that_ I think was the
source of confusion.

CONFIG_ACPI depended on CONFIG_ACPI_HT. This looked good on paper
because CONFIG_ACPI_HT is a sub-set of CONFIG_ACPI...

But people who wanted ACPI but didn't want HT (eg. everybody with a PIII
laptop...) were perplexed that they had to "enable HT" in order to get
ACPI.

> How about the more simple CONFIG_HYPERTHREAD or CONFIG_HT?
>
> If enabled and CONFIG_SMP is set, then we will attempt to discover HT
> via ACPI tables, regardless of CONFIG_ACPI value.

Yes, except I think we should keep the name CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY since it
says exactly what it does.

Hopefully I can make it looke clear in the menus --
I think on the config menus for CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY and CONFIG_ACPI
should be mutually exclusive.

> Or... (I know multiple people will shoot me for saying this) we could
> resurrect acpitable.[ch], and build that when CONFIG_ACPI is disabled.

The question about configs is independent of the acpitable.[ch] vs
table.c implementation. No, we should not return to maintaining two
copies of the acpi table code.

thanks,
-Len

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.048 / U:0.024 seconds]