    SubjectComplete I/O starvation with 3ware raid on 2.6
    I'm running bkcvs HEAD on a newly installed system, and started
    copying files over to my RAID 5 from older IDE disks. When I copy
    these files, the system becomes unusable. Specifically, any disk
    access on the 3ware array, no matter how simple, even starting 'vi' on
    a file, takes minutes or eternity to complete. Suspending the process
    doing the copying doesn't even help much, because the LEDs on the card
    continue blinking for about 30 seconds after the suspension. This
    happens whether the IDE drive is using DMA or not. It seems that some
    kind of insane queueing is going on. Are there parameters worth
    playing with? Should I try the deadline I/O scheduler?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:3.799 / U:1.132 seconds]