    On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:01:24PM +0200, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
    > Me too.
    > And I won't be able to kill off this account.
    > I thought another virus had popped up! Many of them have their
    > attachments removed by the virusscanner.

    The collateral effects caused by email-based virus scanner software
    creating bounces to faked email addresses is getting to be more of a
    problem to control than the viruses themselves.

    I've recently been getting mails from sites "helpfully" informing me
    that someone tried to send me a virus - they're not helpful at all.

    I suggest that anyone receiving such things complain to the originating
    site - if the virus is known to use faked sender addresses, it is
    irresponsible for any site to generate a bounce.

    When there are enough complaints to mail server admins, hopefully the
    philosophy will change.

    Any further discussion of this topic should be done off list.

    Russell King (
    Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux -
    maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA -
    2.6 Serial core

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.020 / U:5.936 seconds]