SubjectRe: Broken synaptics mouse..
On Monday 22 September 2003 12:31 am, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:16:36PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > > You can use EVIOCGRAB for the time being in the XFree86 synaptics
> > > driver, this way you'll prevent its events coming into mousedev the
> > > moment it's opened by XFree86, which is probably exactly what one
> > > wants.
> >
> > Will that allow 2 processes to have access to the same event device
> > simultaneously? I am thinking about XFree and GPM. We just got away from
> > that mess caused by psaux providing only exclusive access to step into
> > the same problem again.
> No, it won't. Yes, it's a problem. The only solution I can propose here
> is when you want GPM and XFree support simultaneously you have to
> configure both to use either /dev/input/mice, or both /dev/input/event,
> and not mix the two together.

But in this case not only will I have to specify the event device Synaptics
is connected to but also explicitly specify _every other_ input device I use
(besides the touchpad I have a track-stick as a separate device and an USB
mouse in my docking station). I will also loose hot-plug capabilities I have
now for free.

All in all it just doesn't fly... I wonder if we could declare evdev the master
handler and do not propagate events to the secondary handlers if some process
has appropriate event device opened.