    SubjectRe: call_usermodehelper does not report exit status?
    Andrew Morton <> wrote:
    > Omen Wild <Omen.Wild@Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:
    > >
    > > I found the call_usermodehelper function and
    > > call it with the wait flag set, but I cannot get a non-zero return
    > > status of the program to propagate into the kernel.
    > This might fix it.

    I think you missed the why behind the comment just above your first change.

    /* We don't have a SIGCHLD signal handler, so this
    * always returns -ECHILD, but the important thing is
    * that it blocks. */
    - sys_wait4(pid, NULL, 0, NULL);
    + sys_wait4(pid, &sub_info->retval, 0, NULL);

    The exit code notices that there is no signal handler for SIGCHILD and
    does a fast exit, then we notice when woken up the child no longer exists.

    Rusty discovered this back in June when we were trying to fix a checker
    error on the wait call, and decided that at the time no one was using the
    return value, hence the simpler fix.|src/|src/kernel|related/kernel/kmod.c

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.041 / U:22.560 seconds]