SubjectRe: bandwidth for (good news)
Pascal Schmidt <> writes:

>In a way, you're on the right end of the pipe because the system
>that does your traffic shaping is part of the general network, viewed
>from the machines behind the shaper.

Stop argueing. You can shape only outgoing packets, which means that the
shaper must have a big uplink pipe and then shape that into a thin downlink
pipe. In Larrys' case, the shaper must be on the ISP network before the T1.

Once the packets hit the T1 (or your ISDN link), you've already
lost. No matter how much shaping, dropping, non-acking you're doing on
your side of the link.

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH +49 9131 50 654 0

freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
-- AOL CD when played backwards (User Friendly - 200-10-15)