SubjectRe: Sparse warning: bitmap.h: bad constant expression
On Tue, 2 September 2003 10:38:44 -0700, Dave Olien wrote:

> I was lazy with my problem summary yesterday. The sparse warning is actually
> about the declaration of the functions bitmap_shift_right() and
> bitmap_shift_left() in bitmap.h. In these cases, the bits argument to
> DECLARE_BITMAP() was an argument to the function, and th variable sized
> array is in the scope of that function.
>
> The only uses of these functions I can find are in the macros
> physids_shift_right, physids_shift_left, in mpsec.h, and cpus_shift_rigt
> and cpus_shift_left, in cpumask_array.h.
>
> In all uses, the "bits" argument eventually resolves to being a constant.
> It would require the inline expansion of the bitmap_shift_*() functions
> to take advantage of that.

If your analysis is correct, this looks safe enough for now. It would
be nice to replace it with something more explicit, but I just don't
care enough yet.

Jörn

--
Fantasy is more important than knowlegde. Knowlegde is limited,
while fantasy embraces the whole world.