SubjectRe: Rik's list of CS challenges
I got one:

I've been paying attention the MRAM
http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20030610_mram.shtml (and the
other NV rams comming up, most notabily the optical/polymer
http://www.pcw.co.uk/news/1143633 techs).

What interest me is that with multiple candidates in the pipeline, it's
a high probability that we'll have a non-volatile DRAM replacement
hitting mainstream computer market within 5-10 years.

You have the obvious PDA/Laptop application, which I'll not dwell on.

You have the HA server application where you want fast reboot on power
failure etc.

I'd expect that there will be a demand of never reboot, only seemless
continue. Booting is after all a "hack" to get around
- OS bugs
- an easy way of detecting new HW and config the OS according to HW.
- An easy way to upgrade the kernel

hotplug demands are already rendering pt 2 obsolete.
UPgrading the kernel while running would be a cool feature. One of the
promises of the micro kernel archs in the early 90's

Is it possible to "reboot" the kernel without affecting the running apps
on the machine?

What become more interesting is that while you may have NV RAM, it's not
likely that MRAM is viable on the processor chip. The manufacture
process may be too expensive, or outright impossible, (polymers on chips
that hold 80 degrees C in not likely), leaving you with volatile
register and cache but NV Main RAM.
- should the OS now schedule "paging" between cache and RAM?
- atomic syncing/updates of regs/cache to RAM? (checkpointing)

A merge of FS and RAM? (didn't the AS/400 have mmap'ed disks?)

And all the applications I haven't even thought of.

TJ

--

Terje Eggestad
Senior Software Engineer

Scali - www.scali.com
High Performance Clustering

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.122 / U:0.120 seconds]