SubjectRe: Aliasing physical memory using virtual memory (from a d
Stevie-O wrote:

> I grepped my 2.4 kernel source for 'vmap' and the only results that
> seemed meaningful were vmap_pte_range or vmap_pmd_range in
> mips/mm/umap.c and mips64/mm/umap.c. Is this documented somewhere? I
> suffer from the 'i'm new at this, but this looks possible' syndrome. I
> don't actually know how anything is accomplished.
>
> Btw, am I right about kmalloc(35000) effectively grabbing 64K?

I did a freetext search of the LXR for 'remap' and came up with this function:

820 /*
821 * maps a range of physical memory into the requested pages. the old
822 * mappings are removed. any references to nonexistent pages results
823 * in null mappings (currently treated as "copy-on-access")
824 */
825 static inline void remap_pte_range(pte_t * pte, unsigned long address,
unsigned long size,
826 unsigned long phys_addr, pgprot_t prot)

This looks promising, although it's a bit ambiguous to me. Treating the
physical pages as distinct from virtual pages:

[1] maps a range of physical memory onto the requested pages
I assume 'the requested pages' here refer to 'the specified virtual pages',
since the statement makes no sense if it's referring to 'the specified physical
pages'.

[2] the old mappings are removed.
Looking at the source, it seems that this means 'if these virtual pages were
pointed to any physical pages before, they won't be anymore'

[3] any references to nonexistent pages results in null mappings ('copy-on-access')
I have no idea what this means, and I can't figure it out reading the code.
Obviously it refers to something not really being there (thus 'nonexistent'). So
copy-on-access? How do you copy something that doesn't exist?

--
- Stevie-O

Real Programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE