SubjectRe: Aliasing physical memory using virtual memory (from a d
Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> On 17 Sep 03 at 19:36, Stevie-O wrote:
>
>>My thinking is this: I want to use __get_free_pages(1) 80 times to get the
>>160 pages, then passed those 80 pieces to the card (it's known the card can
>>handle requests with that many pieces). Then I want to create a *virtually*
>>contiguous 160-page mapping, so the postprocessing code in the driver can
>>view the 80 2-page sub-buffers as one big consecutive 160-page buffer.
>>Doing this would (a) make for more efficient use of memory, and (b) leave
>>the larger piles of contiguous pages to the drivers of cards that actually
>>require them.
>

> If you'll use __get_free_pages(0) 160 times, you should be able to use
> vmap() in 2.[456].x.
Actually, I specified __get_free_pages(1) 80 times because I don't know if the
card's SG can actually support 160 separate buffers (I'm certain it can do at
least 80 though).

I grepped my 2.4 kernel source for 'vmap' and the only results that seemed
meaningful were vmap_pte_range or vmap_pmd_range in mips/mm/umap.c and
mips64/mm/umap.c. Is this documented somewhere? I suffer from the 'i'm new at
this, but this looks possible' syndrome. I don't actually know how anything is
accomplished.

Btw, am I right about kmalloc(35000) effectively grabbing 64K?

--
- Stevie-O

Real Programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE