    SubjectRe: experiences beyond 4 GB RAM with 2.4.22
    On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 07:10:57PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > > Well, I do understand the bounce buffer problem, but honestly the current way
    > > > of handling the situation seems questionable at least. If you ever tried such a
    > > > system you notice it is a lot worse than just dumping the additional ram above
    > > > 4GB. You can really watch your network connections go bogus which is just
    > > > unacceptable. Is there any thinkable way to ommit the bounce buffers and still
    > > > do something useful with the beyond-4GB ram parts?
    > >
    > > The 2.6 tree is somewhat better about this but at the end of the day if
    > > your I/O subsystem can't do the job your box will not perform ideally.
    > > For some workloads its a huge win to have the extra RAM, for others the
    > > I/O is a real pain.
    >
    > If he has trouble logging in, then there's a bug somewhere.
    > Bounce buffers should not slow machine down more than
    > 2x, and from his description it looks like way worse slowdown.

    The box does not just slowdown, the box crawls on the floor wimpering.
    Nothing works except ping until the i/os are finished (and they seem
    to crawl too), then everything works perfectly again.

    We're quite eager to fix the problem too, if you want us to test some
    things.

    OG.
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-gunzip]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.020 / U:30.896 seconds]