    SubjectRe: experiences beyond 4 GB RAM with 2.4.22
    On Maw, 2003-09-16 at 14:36, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
    > Well, I do understand the bounce buffer problem, but honestly the current way
    > of handling the situation seems questionable at least. If you ever tried such a
    > system you notice it is a lot worse than just dumping the additional ram above
    > 4GB. You can really watch your network connections go bogus which is just
    > unacceptable. Is there any thinkable way to ommit the bounce buffers and still
    > do something useful with the beyond-4GB ram parts?

    The 2.6 tree is somewhat better about this but at the end of the day if
    your I/O subsystem can't do the job your box will not perform ideally.
    For some workloads its a huge win to have the extra RAM, for others the
    I/O is a real pain. Also in some cases it might be interesting to try
    using the extra RAM above the 4G boundary as a giant ram disk and using
    it as first swap device.

    I don't know anyone who explored that however

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.027 / U:66.044 seconds]