SubjectRe: Developing Kernel Code newbie

Nick Piggin wrote:
> If you are a _programming_ beginner, you're setting your sights a too high
> and will probably get frustrated.

I'm not a beginner to programming, been doing it since an early age.
That said, I have very little experience of "pro" programming - I am
still in full time education.
Still, it is definately a high target, and will take some time getting
used to.

I wrote my first patch yesterday, very very basic but its a start! (just
simply makes the usblp driver output its debug info into dmesg when
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is set).

Alan Cox wrote:
> The kernel is cool, but it is a large piece of code with a lot of ideas
> in it that some folks find challenging (interrupts, multiprocessing,
> threads and locking) [One thing to be said at least the Java taught
> university folks understand some of this unlike those they used to feed
> pascal]
>
> Have fun but if you find the kernel daunting and hard work, don't give
> up but pick up something smaller, easier to understand and use a
> debugger on - like desktop applications, then come back and try the
> kernel again later.

I think thats where I'm heading, thanks for the advice.

Amir: Here are a few URL's I have stored for this topic. I have yet to
study them in detail.

http://jungla.dit.upm.es/~jmseyas/linux/kernel/hackers-docs.html
http://www.kernelnewbies.org
http://en.tldp.org/LDP/khg/HyperNews/get/khg.html

Thanks.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.032 / U:1.816 seconds]