SubjectRe: 2.7 block ramblings (was Re: DMA for ide-scsi?)
On Sul, 2003-09-14 at 12:15, Justin Cormack wrote:
> LABEL= is so broken that I immediately remove it from all my redhat
> systems. It is not unique at all. As soon as you plug another system
> disk into your system at boot time all hell breaks loose. At least it
> could have a random number in it or something.

You can use UUID's for labels too if you prefer. I normally write a
host string into my labels. What I actually want is mount by label to
develop an rpc service so I can mount by label and if the disk is in
another box NFS it 8)

> If you need to know your bootdisk (why?) why not just get the bootloader
> to tell you?

The bootloader doesn't know. It has a bios concept of the boot device
which is really hard if at all possible to translate without things like