    SubjectDMA for ide-scsi?
    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:29:18 +0200, Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de> wrote:
    >> Actually with 2.6, you no longer need ide-scsi. You'll need to upgrade
    >> your cdrecord tools and probably your burning GUI, if you use one. I've
    >> been burning that way for several months now. (I'm using xcdroast,
    >> though I need to start it with "-n" since I'm using cdrecord 2.01a18.)
    >> This actually works better for me than ide-scsi as for some reason it
    >> uses less CPU.
    >
    >That's because it _is_ faster. It contains no silly memory allocations
    >for the buffer and data copying in the kernel, the data is mapped from
    >the user buffer and DMA'ed directly from there. It also uses DMA where
    >ide-scsi wont.

    That begs the question: why won't ide-scsi do DMA?
    I understand you'd rather see it disappear (:->) but since I use
    it for other ATAPI devices as well, I'd like to see it maintained
    and fully operational. Having DMA in ide-scsi would be nice.

    (And the concept of using a SCSI API to ATA devices is in itself
    not broken, even if the implementation has some problems.)

    /Mikael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.022 / U:0.800 seconds]