    SubjectRe: [lkml] RE: self piping and context switching
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Sad, 2003-09-13 at 03:56, Iker wrote:
    > > More specifically, I was wondering if the write to the pipe or the call back
    > > into poll involved anything that might prompt the scheduler to replace the
    > > thread in this scenario.
    > Unless it happens to cause page faults or fill up the pipe nothing in
    > paticular. Sending a message to yourself down a pipe is pretty standard
    > in event based programs as a way of turning a signal from asynchronous
    > event and thus nuisance to handle into a message.

    This "pretty standard" method is the reason Netscape 4.07 hangs on
    computers which are too fast: It writes too many events to a pipe
    before reading from the pipe, and the pipe fills.

    Of course that is a programming error. Just a reminder to be careful :)

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.018 / U:87.388 seconds]