SubjectRe: IDE DMA problem with 2.6.0-test1
I don't know, I've had a few SMART capable Maxtor drives go bad to the
point I knew it without a warning. Eventually, when things got really
bad though, they would report SMART errors. The errors were at first
intermittent, and then got to the point the warning wouldn't go away.
In their defense, two of them (I've had 5) had smart errors and I never
encountered any noticeable defects (still, I replaced them when they
were doing the upgrade program so I could get a new 3 year warranty).

All of those are several generations old though, the newer ones I have
now don't seem to want to die ;-)

--Wes--

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

>Can be buggy drive's firmware or bug in smartmontools (unlikely)...
>
>--bartlomiej
>
>On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Mike Castle wrote:
>

>>In article <Pine.SOL.4.30.0308061750260.22000-100000@mion.elka.pw.edu.pl>,
>>Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
>>

>>>You can also install smartmontools (http://smartmontools.sf.net/)
>>>and check your drives (if they support SMART of course).
>>>

>>Point of interest: I just had a Maxtor drive go bad on me recently. Their
>>diag tools caught it, as did my ear (made a nice clunking noise :-). But
>>SMART didn't report a thing, and I looked hard too. :-/
>>
>>mrc
>>

>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.074 / U:0.428 seconds]