SubjectRe: Interactivity improvements
On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 07:26, Patrick McLean wrote:

> Finally, the interactivity estimator seems to be quite a bit of code,
> which certain people have no real useful (in servers for example) and I
> would imagine that it does reduce throughput

Actually, it should improve I/O throughput. What it might hurt is
computational performance, but only at the expense of benefiting other

The reason it benefits throughput is that file I/O is definitely marked
interactive, and that results in file I/O being able to quickly wake up,
dispatch the I/O, and go back to sleep. Its the usual treatment given to
I/O, and it works.

Robert Love