    SubjectRe: Interactivity improvements
    On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 07:26, Patrick McLean wrote:

    > Finally, the interactivity estimator seems to be quite a bit of code,
    > which certain people have no real useful (in servers for example) and I
    > would imagine that it does reduce throughput

    Actually, it should improve I/O throughput. What it might hurt is
    computational performance, but only at the expense of benefiting other

    The reason it benefits throughput is that file I/O is definitely marked
    interactive, and that results in file I/O being able to quickly wake up,
    dispatch the I/O, and go back to sleep. Its the usual treatment given to
    I/O, and it works.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.018 / U:120.592 seconds]