    Subjectuncorrectable ext2 errors
    Hi!

    A few days ago, I reported some problems with a ext2 filesystem which I
    cannot repair with e2fsck. Now I got some new observations.

    To summarize the problem: e2fsck reports block bitmap differences, but
    telling it to repair these doesn't help, another e2fsck run reports the
    same differences.

    Now I took a copy of the metadata with e2image -r, and ran e2fsck on
    that. Surprisingly, now e2fsck was able to repair the differences.

    With this corrected filesystem, I took a look at what e2fsck did change
    on the filesystem. Interestingly, the errors are very systematic. It's
    mainly sequences of 4096 bytes which should be all 255, but are
    3,0,0,0,300,7,0,... (rest are 0s). These blocks start at the following
    positions:

    6630000001
    6638000001
    6640000001
    6648000001
    6748000001
    6750000001
    6758000001
    6760000001
    6768000001
    6790000001
    6798000001
    67A0000001
    67A8000001
    67B0000001
    67B8000001
    67C0000001
    67C8000001
    67D0000001
    67D8000001
    67E0000001
    67E8000001

    To me, this looks like some strange problem in a layer below the
    filesystem. So it may be LVM, ide, promise ide driver, or a hardware
    fault.

    Do you have any idea how to further diagnose this?

    Jan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.043 / U:148.860 seconds]