    SubjectRe: milstone reached: ia64 linux builds out of Linus' tree
    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:37:39 -0700
    David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

    > As of this morning, Linus's current bk tree
    > (http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5) builds and works out of the
    > box for ia64!

    I hate to rain on your parade, but for a platform that has so many
    companies paying people full time to maintain under Linux having it
    take this long is a big diasppointment for me :(

    I do sparc64 as a hobby in my spare time, as a single individual, and
    it has been working daily throughout the entire 2.4.x and 2.5.x
    series.

    The fact that there are still "external patches for performance"
    is even more disheartening.

    My tree never lags Linus's by more than 24 or 48 hours, unless one
    of us is on vacation and not near computers. And if I can do this
    in my spare time, it should be doable by people getting paid full
    time to maintain the ia64 port, don't you think? 8-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:2.361 / U:0.216 seconds]