SubjectRe: Andrea VM changes
At 8:51am -0700 8/31/03, Dan Kegel wrote:
>In the test-and-measurement system I'm developing,
>it turned out the sanest thing to do with OOM conditions
>was to consider them user errors, and to handle them
>by dumping memory usage info about processes and slab caches,
>then halt. It's been very helpful because it turns flaky
>conditions into rock-solid failures. Too bad this drastic
>approach isn't appropriate for general use.

Likewise in an HA environment, if you've got a standby node
available, we prefer to fail over on an oom condition or (or an oops,
for that matter) than to try to continue running in some randomly
crippled way. The node in question can then reboot and return to
service as a standby.

Ideally, we'd have a notifier that would be triggered for every
unanticipated process kill (oom, oops, whatever).
--
/Jonathan Lundell.