SubjectRe: 2.4/2.6 - ATAPI Zip problem in SCSI mode (DEVFS)
On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 19:17, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > For 2.5 this doesn't work anymore and whenever you want to mount a Zip
> > disk you need to boot Linux together with a Disk inside the Drive, so
> > during boot it detects the Zip drive + the Disk.
>
> yes devfs was castrated in 2.6 and removable media revalidation has been
> removed without providing any suitable replacement.

Ahh, thanks for letting me know this.

But this leads to the question why CD-ROM removable media revalidation
works. I mean let's see an SCSI CD-ROM, an ATAPI CD-ROM (in SCSI mode)
and ATAPI Zip (in SCSI mode) as *the same*.

They all have a host device (the mechanics itself), they all talk
through the same interface (straight SCSI or SCSI emulation). But CD-ROM
removable media revalidation works. E.g. I plug a CD in and it does the
trick, the Zip should be alike in my opinion. How does a Zip as
removable media differ from a CD for example.

By the way it would be pretty nice to improve devfs in this case. I also
heard a while back that it will be re-written anyways. Would be cool to
have a native support for that (Kernel related solution).

greetings,

A. A.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.029 / U:0.952 seconds]