    On Saturday 30 August 2003 21:39, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > > > If you think we haven't done that, think again.
    > > >
    > > > We're at the wrong end of the pipe to do that, I'm pretty sure that
    > > > what you are describing simply won't work.
    > >
    > > In a way, you're on the right end of the pipe because the system
    > > that does your traffic shaping is part of the general network, viewed
    > > from the machines behind the shaper.
    > >
    > > Dropping the packets means that the sending side, at least if we're
    > > talking TCP, will throttle its sending rate. But, depending on the
    > > distance in hops to the sender, it may take up to a few seconds for
    > > this to kick in. So I guess that's why it doesn't work for your
    > > VoIP case - the senders don't notice fast enough that they should
    > > slow down.
    > that's because you don't limit the to a fixed rate. If you
    > want to give priorities, it won't work well because it takes time to be
    > effective, but if you rate limit hard both ways it has to work, unless
    > you're under syn-flood ;) The downside is that you will waste bandwith
    > (i.e. you will hurt the service even when you don't use
    > voip), but it will work.

    How about giving something to voip as a hard limit and then using some shaper
    to give it more if needed.

    - --
    *NOTE: This message is ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra protection*
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.021 / U:11.288 seconds]