SubjectRe: TOE brain dump
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:21:12PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> if your 8-way opteron database box is already the bottleneck for your
> system you will have to spend a LOT of money to get anything that gives
> you more available processing power, getting a card to offload any
> processing from the main CPU's can be a win.

I'd like to see data which supports this. CPUs have gotten so fast and
disk I/O still sucks. All the systems I've seen are CPU rich and I/O
starved. The smartest thing you could do would be to get a cheap box
with a GB of ram as a disk cache and make it be a SAN device. Make
N of those and you have tons of disk space and tons of cache and your
8 way opteron database box is going to work just fine.
--
---