    From: David Lang [mailto:david.lang@digitalinsight.com]
    Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 1:26 AM
    To: Alan Shih
    Cc: Ben Greear; Jeff Garzik; Nivedita Singhvi; Werner Almesberger;
    netdev@oss.sgi.com; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: RE: TOE brain dump

    do you really want the processor on the card to be tunning
    apache/NFS/Samba/etc ?

    putting enough linux on the card to act as a router (which would include
    the netfilter stuff) is one thing. putting the userspace code that
    interfaces with the outside world for file transfers is something else.

    if you really want the disk connected to your network card you are just
    talking a low-end linux box. forget all this stuff about it being on a
    card and just use a full box (economys of scale will make this cheaper)

    making a firewall that's a core system with a dozen slave systems attached
    to it (the network cards) sounds like the type of clustering that Linux
    has been used for for compute nodes. complicated to setup, but extremely
    powerful and scalable once configured.

    if you want more then a router on the card then Alan Cox is right, just
    add another processor to the system, it's easier and cheaper.

    David Lang