    SubjectRe: 2.6.0-test2-mm3 and mysql

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Matt Mackall" <>
    To: "Heikki Tuuri" <>
    Cc: <>
    Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 7:55 PM
    Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test2-mm3 and mysql

    > On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 12:10:01PM +0300, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
    > >
    > > What to do? People who write drivers should run heavy, multithreaded
    > > i/o tests on their computer using some SQL database which calls fsync().
    > > example, run the Perl '/sql-bench/innotest's all concurrently on MySQL.
    > > the problems are in drivers, that could help.
    > Did you know that until test2-mm3, nothing would report errors that
    > occurred on non-synchronous writes? There was no infrastructure to
    > propagate the error back to userspace. If you wrote a page, the write
    > failed on an intermittent I/O error, and then read again, you'd
    > silently get back the old page.

    we are not using the Linux async i/o. Do you mean that? Or the flush which
    the Linux kernel does from the file cache to the disk time to time on its
    own? I assume it will write to the system log an error message if a disk
    write fails?

    The error 5 Shane reported came from a call of fsync(), and apparently he
    also got that same 5 from a simple file read which CHECK TABLE in MyISAM

    Why would a write in the Linux async i/o fail? I am using aio on Windows,
    and if the disk space can be allocated, it seems to fail only in the case of
    a hardware failure.