    SubjectRe: Single P4, many IDE PCI cards == trouble??
    > Is there _anyone_ who is using a number of ATA133 IDE disks (>=6), each on
    > its own IDE channel, on a number of PCI IDE cards, and doing so
    > successfully and reliably? I begin to suspect not! If so, please tell us
    > what motherboard, IDE cards you are using. I used to imagine that a
    > terabyte of RAID storage on one P4 machine with ordinary cheap IDE cards
    > with software RAID would be feasible. I believe it is not (although I
    > cannot afford to play musical motherboards).

    We've tried it with five or six different motherboards, with Intel, Via,
    and Serverworks onboard chipsets, and Promise, Highpoint, and Silicon
    Image add-in cards, and had no luck. After extensive testing and
    patching, we finally gave up and bought 3ware 8500 cards. The only
    non-3ware IDE we've found to be stable is the Intel onboard chipset.

    > > > My machine locks solid at unpredictable intervals with no response
    > > > from keyboard lights, no Alt-Sysrq-x response, etc, with a wide
    > > > variety of 2.4.x kernels, including 2.4.22.

    We generally got lost DMA messages, but still, we were unable to obtain
    any stability.

    > I am giving up now, and have shelled out big dollars for a 3ware 7506-8,
    > which I will install early next week once I've figured out how to back up
    > and restore 203GB without shelling out even more money.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.023 / U:2.992 seconds]