    SubjectRe: Single P4, many IDE PCI cards == trouble??
    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:00:58 +0800, Nick Urbanik said:

    > what motherboard, IDE cards you are using. I used to imagine that a
    > terabyte of RAID storage on one P4 machine with ordinary cheap IDE cards
    > with software RAID would be feasible. I believe it is not (although I
    > cannot afford to play musical motherboards).
    > I am giving up now, and have shelled out big dollars for a 3ware 7506-8,
    > which I will install early next week once I've figured out how to back up
    > and restore 203GB without shelling out even more money.

    Exactly. The *real* reason why a terabyte of RAID is expensive - if it's
    important enough to RAID, it's important enough to back up (with the possible
    exception of RAID striping for performance on a multi-hundred-gig scratch
    space).

    /Valdis (who once got to clean up 600M of mess after a busticated RAID
    controller dropped its cache to the right blocks on the wrong disks :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.048 / U:0.456 seconds]