Subject2.6.0-test4 kernel hangs on loading mouse driver
Hi all,

I'm having a problem booting the test4 kernel, which has developed since
patching up from a functional test2 tree (I haven't compiled a test3
kernel on my system, having patched to test3 and then again to test4). The
problem seems to lie with the mouse, which is a USB HID mouse. The kernel
gets as far as loading the hid core at boot time, giving these messages:

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0: USB HID core driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

The system then hangs.

I'm using an original Athlon (old skool Slot A fragrance) with a VIA
chipset (VT8371 [KX133] north bridge, VT82C686 south bridge), and a
bog-standard USB HID mouse and PS/2 keyboard. Relevant kernel
configuration options are:

CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=m

CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

Thanks in advance for help with this issue :-)

--
Phil Stewart

PS - I'm not subscribed to the list, so I've CC'd myself into this mail -
please keep me CC'd in if you need me to post any further detail that may
help identify and solve this problem. Thanks!