SubjectRe: binary kernel drivers re. hpt370 and redhat
Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:40:30 -0400
>joe briggs <jbriggs@briggsmedia.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a client who has a raid controller currently supported under windows,
>>and now wants to support linux as a bootable device. Currently, some of
>>their trade secrets are contained in the driver as opposed to the controller
>>firmware, etc., so for now they wish to release a binary-only driver to
>>certain beta customers. (i.e., 1st stage of porting is similar functionality
>>as windows). Am I correct that in order to boot off of this device that the
>>driver would have to be statically linked in vs. a module which could be
>>distributed as a binary-only driver keyed to the kernel.revision of the
>>distribution's kernel? I would like to avoid any flames and ask that all
>>recognize that some hardware providers are having to ease into the pond a toe
>>at a time. Any constructive thoughts, suggestions, references, tips, etc.
>>highly appreciated.
>>

>The driver could be a module and live in initramfs. If you can
>get the initial Linux image and initramfs loaded, you would be okay.

Rather an initrd under Linux. Note that there is a partial source
driver, and RH driver's disks here: (look under raid IC with the right
chipset for partial source.)
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/usaindex.htm

>The problem is more in the bootloader (LILO or GRUB) would not no how
>to do raid. The /boot partition would have to be on a non-raid partition.
>Same problem if driver is statically linked in the kernel.

If you are doing raid 1. Lilo should work. It doesn't really matter
if lilo isn't aware of of the data on the other drive. Each has a full
copy of everything.

PS- Newer linux kernels should be able to support the "raid" controller
as a normal ide controller. You could then just configure linux
software raid.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)