    SubjectRe: tasklet_kill will always hang for recursive tasklets on a UP

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Werner Almesberger wrote:

    > Nagendra Singh Tomar wrote:
    > > While going thru the code for tasklet_kill(), I cannot figure
    > out
    > > how recursive tasklets (tasklets that schedule themselves from within
    > > their tasklet handler) can be killed by this function. To me it looks
    > that
    > > tasklet_kill will never complete for such tasklets.
    > That's also what I found when looking at it a while ago. This isn't
    > necessarily a bug of tasklet_kill, just some behaviour that needs
    > to be documented.

    I fail to understand this. How can we say that its not a bug. If we
    support recursive tasklets, we should support killing them also. If we can
    do it why not do it. Is there any reason for that.

    > You can always introduce a flag that tells the tasklet if it should
    > reschedule itself, and clear that flag before calling tasklet_kill.
    > When I looked at it (I think this was in some 2.4 kernel), it also
    > seemed that tasklet_kill could loop forever if the tasklet is
    > scheduled but disabled.

    You r right. Its a similar problem. TASKLET_STATE_SCHED will never get
    reset for disabled tasklets.
    I feel that these issues can be addresses easily by adding a couple of

    > - Werner

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.032 / U:5.992 seconds]