SubjectRe: tasklet_kill will always hang for recursive tasklets on a UP

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Nagendra Singh Tomar wrote:
> > While going thru the code for tasklet_kill(), I cannot figure
> out
> > how recursive tasklets (tasklets that schedule themselves from within
> > their tasklet handler) can be killed by this function. To me it looks
> that
> > tasklet_kill will never complete for such tasklets.
> That's also what I found when looking at it a while ago. This isn't
> necessarily a bug of tasklet_kill, just some behaviour that needs
> to be documented.

I fail to understand this. How can we say that its not a bug. If we
support recursive tasklets, we should support killing them also. If we can
do it why not do it. Is there any reason for that.

> You can always introduce a flag that tells the tasklet if it should
> reschedule itself, and clear that flag before calling tasklet_kill.
> When I looked at it (I think this was in some 2.4 kernel), it also
> seemed that tasklet_kill could loop forever if the tasklet is
> scheduled but disabled.

You r right. Its a similar problem. TASKLET_STATE_SCHED will never get
reset for disabled tasklets.
I feel that these issues can be addresses easily by adding a couple of