    SubjectRe: linux-2.4.22 released
    On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:49:01PM +0200, Diego Calleja García wrote:
    > El Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:21:34 +0200 Ramón Rey Vicente____ <retes_simbad@yahoo.es> escribió:
    >
    > > I think merging ALSA in 2.4 series bring some of the advantages of the
    > > 2.6 series to the stable kernel, just new drivers with improvements over
    > > OSS... but I dont think that will help in the switching to 2.6.
    >

    > I agree with Ramon; OSS doesn't provide drivers for some cards (or they
    > have really low quality, like the one for my card...). It's not just easing
    > the migration.
    >
    > Reasons to include ALSA in 2.4.23:
    >
    > - Lots of people need it.
    > - 99.9 % of kernels from vendors have it (they need to include them to
    > give good hardware support), which means they have been tested a lot.

    I must have missed the date when Debian's market share dropped under
    0.1 % ...

    > - Lots of non-vendor kernels have it (even more testing).
    > - Some drivers have better quality.
    > - Low impact: they don't break anything; they're just configurable drivers.
    > - They're stable.
    > - They're cool.
    >
    > Reasons against:
    > <write here your opinion>

    - ALSA is big and there are still some bugs in ALSA; there are more
    urgent things to be fixed in 2.4
    - it's easy to use ALSA even when it's not inside the kernel
    - within a few months 2.6.0 will be released with ALSA included -
    together with the point above I don't see a reason why ALSA would be
    badly needed in 2.4

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.