SubjectRe: linux-2.4.22 released
On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:49:01PM +0200, Diego Calleja García wrote:
> El Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:21:34 +0200 Ramón Rey Vicente____ <> escribió:
> > I think merging ALSA in 2.4 series bring some of the advantages of the
> > 2.6 series to the stable kernel, just new drivers with improvements over
> > OSS... but I dont think that will help in the switching to 2.6.
> I agree with Ramon; OSS doesn't provide drivers for some cards (or they
> have really low quality, like the one for my card...). It's not just easing
> the migration.
> Reasons to include ALSA in 2.4.23:
> - Lots of people need it.
> - 99.9 % of kernels from vendors have it (they need to include them to
> give good hardware support), which means they have been tested a lot.

I must have missed the date when Debian's market share dropped under
0.1 % ...

> - Lots of non-vendor kernels have it (even more testing).
> - Some drivers have better quality.
> - Low impact: they don't break anything; they're just configurable drivers.
> - They're stable.
> - They're cool.
> Reasons against:
> <write here your opinion>

- ALSA is big and there are still some bugs in ALSA; there are more
urgent things to be fixed in 2.4
- it's easy to use ALSA even when it's not inside the kernel
- within a few months 2.6.0 will be released with ALSA included -
together with the point above I don't see a reason why ALSA would be
badly needed in 2.4

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed