SubjectRe: 2.6.0-test3-mm3 reserve IRQ for isapnp
Besides the fact that my IRQs have been re-arranged, there seems to be
other issues as well.

I thought that if I didn't compile the alsa snd-sb16 driver, but still
left isapnp enabled, it should not ever try to get IRQ 5 for ISA. I'm
not sure if that is the way the kernel works, but just disabling the
gameport and snd-sb16 parts did not work. It still hangs where it
should be saying something about getting IRQ 12 for the mouse on
2.6.0-test3-mm2 (though I disabled that too since I use a USB mouse, so
it probably should be saying something about my keyboard port).
However, I don't ever see that, now I just see "input:" and then the
cursor stops blinking. I originally had "mice" clicked but nothing else
selected in the build menu, but after it locked up showing "input:" I
thought I might as well knock that off too and see if it helped.
Obviously not...

I'm recompiling without isapnp now so we'll see how that goes. Looks
like that affects everything, so it'll take a while.

While I was fooling around trying to get the thing to book with mm3, I
set my BIOS to auto, and that did change the way IRQ's were allocated
with 2.6.0-test3-mm2. I had just assumed since it allocated IRQs the
same since 2.5.69 that things remained consistent between those
kernels. This litte test confirmed that. As soon as I went to auto, it
dumped an error when trying to setup the snd-sb16 driver on kernel
2.6.0-test3-mm2. So I changed it back to manually configured, which
also includes IRQ's 3 and 4 btw as well as 5 and 7.

Note that mm3 did not change it's allocation of IRQs when I set the BIOS
to auto, so apparently it is now ignoring the BIOS. That is definetly
new with mm3.

Wes

Wes Janzen wrote:

> So sad... Ever since I started with kernel 2.5.69, the kernel has
> been properly reserving IRQ 5 for ISA, as set in my BIOS.
>
> Unfortunately for me, it looks like 2.6.0-test3-mm3 is like 2.4.18 and
> ignores my BIOS settings, so it locks up trying to ativate my SB16 on
> boot (since IRQ 5 is used for IDE). Oddly it doesn't spit out any
> warnings, just locks up after "pnp: Device 00:01.03 activated".
> I used "pci=irqmask=0xffdf" in 2.4.18, but that doesn't seem to work
> for 2.6.0-test3-mm3. I'm not positive I'm giving it the correct value
> though...so maybe that's the problem.
>
> I'd really like to try out the O17int version of mm3, but I don't want
> to disable sound either.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wes
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.100 / U:1.212 seconds]